Joe and Eric—

I’m not discounting tire/wheel size.  Since I’ve had the Sam for years, and
am still setting up the Homer, I tried to control for a few things.  Both
have the same Serfas 921V seats.  Both had the same tires for these
particular rides: 37mm Continental Tour Rides.  Today I set both at 70 psi
for the rides, and I rode both the same route on the Silver Comet Trail.

Maybe this set-up is not optimum for the Homer.  Since I’ve sorted through
the Sam gearing, tires (I usually ride Speed Rides) and pressure for what I
like, this was just a totally subjective A-B comparison.  But with both
bikes having about the same wheelbase (a little longer for the Homer but
with smaller wheels), I was trying to contribute to Leah’s questions
regarding “have the chainstays gone too far?”.

We plunk down our money with whatever bike company, tell them our
dimensions that they ask for, and hope to get the bike of our dreams.
Rivendell does pretty darn well at that, especially if you like lugged
steel.  Grant has had a LOT of experience, and runs a bicycle company whose
employees also have a LOT of experience, and one that has avid followers.
Otherwise we wouldn’t be here.  But Rivendell is not infallible, either in
the fitting or in the design.  I wish I could go to Rivendell directly and
ride 20 bikes and select my dream bike.  Lacking that, I have to go with
the published numbers.

For me it seems (and as I said before YMMV), that the Homer chain stays
have gotten about as long as they could be for me to enjoy riding the
bike.  If I ever buy another Riv, I’ll look for shorter chainstays (among
other things).

As Leah says, I like my bikes.  I just wanted to Love them, and I still
may.  I love the Sam.  The Homer is my kid that I should love the same, and
I'll see what develops.  But it feels a little too... chainstay-ish.