On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 6:49:42 PM UTC-6, Joe Bernard wrote:

> Yes and the stem length issue is being directed at a very specific
> situation, the Baby Bike. I'm not sure we can use that to compare to other
> frames.

 I don't necessarily agree. I'm pretty sure stem length effects handling on
every bike to some degree, and the Baby Bike's head tube angle is 70.5*,
which is only a little bit slack. So I do think the concept applies.
However, you're right that Leah's experience isn't quite the same as mine,
and I'm definitely projecting some of my own personal nitpicking. On the
other hand, many of us have bought a bike that didn't work for us (fit,
handling, component mistmatches, etc.) and when you get down to a 50mm stem
with Bosco bars and the bike still feels weird, it's possible that it's the
wrong size.

Leah wrote:

> I hope you are wrong wrong wrong because I really want this bike to work
> now that I’ve purchased it and decked it out. I don’t know if it feels
> twitchy in handling; not that I realize, but heaven help me if I ride
> Dorothy’s 45 and figure out that you are right.

Leah, I know you'll ride the bike and enjoy it. I rode my Long Haul Trucker
with a 50mm stem for thousands of miles and loved most of them. I also
fretted over how it felt for many of those miles and built and rebuilt it
for years. It was definitely somewhat too big, but it was the bike I had,
and it was GREAT! For me, the hardest part of being a bike nerd is letting
go of a bike I love in spite of it's shortcomings (longcomings .. nah ...).
It's even harder to get rid of a bike than to want a bike and not get to
own it. But the bikes that I don't work and I have to get rid of always
teach me something about what works and what doesn't. Either way, bike life
is good.