Joe's comment got me thinking, and I realized I never really said what I
meant to say about the qualities of long bikes. I really didn't mean to
meander off back to Leah's bike fit, and stem shopping. My bad ...

*The opinions expressed in this opinion are entirely opinions. I'm not
trying to disagree with anyone. Just my interpretation of my experience of
long bikes.*

The thing I like about long bikes is swoopiness. I may try to describe
swoopiness, if anyone wants, but maybe everyone knows what I'm sayin', and
I'll leave it at that. It's the feeling of riding that I find enhanced by
the long Rivs.

I'm speculating about geometry, but maybe swoopiness comes from the
combination of how far in front of the back wheel you are and how far
behind to front wheel you are. Also, the bike has to maintain a somewhat
normal riding position to qualify as a bike, so seatstay angle and length
have a fairly narrow acceptable range.

I've been trying to figure out exactly how chainstay length relates to
that. Grant says 'stability' right? I think basically more bike out back
increases the bike's tendency to return to vertical. Maybe it has to do
with mellowing the impact changes in rider weight when dancing on the
pedals and steering with thighs and hips in a way that makes it easy to
ride standing up no hands, or to use your hips as leverage for
countersteering when digging into a curve. Like, you can just sit down into
the bike and get it turning, but you have to push the handlebar pretty hard
to keep it from stabilizing.

Long top tubes put the rider further behind the front wheel, which may also
reduce the impact of rider movements/minor imbalances on the steering.

Slacker head tube angles may play a role, but it's not everything. Riv
makes swoopy bikes that aren't particularly slack these days, and there are
very slack modern MTBs that aren't exactly swoopy. But head tube angle does
impact how straight the wheel tracks, so it's another factor in stability.

So the swept back handlebars are an answer to a long effective top tube,
but they also make it possible to run a long stem. And IMO stem length
enhances the swoopy effect. It may give more leverage for countersteering.
I really don't know. Maybe the more leverage for countersteering that's
built in to the setup, the less it feels like you actually have to push to
keep the bike leaning. So maybe upping leverage keeps the swoopiness and
minimizes the perceived effort of swooping.

So, long effective top tubes, long chainstays, long stems with very swept
back bars make swoopy bikes. Assuming the front end geometry is
complimentary. I like swoopy bikes, but I doubt everyone does. Swoopy bikes
are easy to ride standing up with no hands and they are easy to carve turns
while going fast down double track. Fun to jump up and down on the pedals
and howl at the moon or stand up and surf on the top tube. All the added
stability of length makes sure the the bike returns to vertical anytime a
swoop gets out of hand, but add a bit of effort during the swoop.

Drw,

The MTBubbe is less swoopy than the Baby Bike. The MTBubbe feels quicker in
terms of handling and acceleration, but it may not be. As a townie, I'd
take the Baby Bike for sure. Touring or mountain biking would really be
splitting hairs between the two and would depend on the specific ride.
That's assuming the tubing was up to the task. The 45 Clem L is way too
small for me, but I can tell that it'd swoop for someone. My wife loves it,
in a way she's never loved any bike, but I've never asked her if she thinks
it swoops. She rides it like it swoops though.

Paul