I have Velocity Quill on my Toyo Atlantis with 700x50 Soma Cazadero tires;
the rims are awesome, but the tire/frame clearance it tight. I chose the
Quill over the A23 because they were tubeless compatible and their wider
inside width.  Our Salsa Powderkeg tandem has a Cliffhanger with dynamo on
the front, and I will replace the Stan's rim on the back with a Cliffhanger
as soon as I decide which hub I want to use. I'm leaning towards Hadley.

I'm not a weight weenie, but I can't imagine a better place to increase
bicycle performance (besides the human motor) than wheels/tires.