My two cents: I haven't used the Backabike, but I commuted for many years
with a Sackville large saddlebag and no-name canvas panniers with
drawstring and plastic buckle closure (similar to Carridice Super C).  I'm
currently commuting with a set of new Ortlieb High Visibility Roll-tops
(front).  The roll-top closure isn't may favorite. I prefer being able to
flip open the pannier instead of unrolling it.  The rolling and buckling
part just drives me nuts for some reason. Probably because it takes two
hands and is difficult to do on the bike (with my front rack setup). With
my model the shoulder strap is also part of the closure, clipping down low
on the front of the bag.  I do however like the positive clip-on Orlieb
attachment system (QL-2? or 3?), but man, it seems awfully delicate and
generally not sturdy.