Thanks for that comparo; it's useful. I've used the Packer series (Plus and
Sports, or big and small), and the Back-Rollers, not to mention a couple
dozen other types, and for volume and easy on-and-off and flexible
capacity, any of the larger Ortliebs are great. The extendable collars with
separate drawstrings on my Sports Packers have saved my metaphorical hide
on more than one occasion. And you can get a case -- 12 bottles -- of ale
into a Back-Roller.

The problem -- and I fully admit that this is a princess-and-pea problem;
nay, a princess and groat or millet seed; yea!, a veritable grain of
mustard seed problem, but all the Ortliebs have fussy closure systems.

I had not heard of Ortlieb's shopping pannier, and, looking at it, I
thought at first it would be the ideal, but I wonder about the zipper --
zippers IME are a weak link, and I often overstuff my panniers, which --
and this is a question -- might make it (a) hard to zip up the flaps? And
(b) be prone to zipper-split with sudden and unusual pressure? As much as I
don't-very-much-like Fastek buckles, they are certainly durable and secure;
as when, say, you overstuff your bag and then shove down hard with your
weight to close it. Will the zippers hold up in such case?

I'm not concerned with carrying the panniers off the bike, since I wheel
the bike through the store as my grocery trolley. My problem is stuffing
the bags and closing them while in the checkout line.

Back to the Backabike panniers: the salient advantages are: (a) flexible,
but stiff enough to hold their shape when empty; the original Riv bag
family -- Cartwright; I owned Adam and Hoss -- are too floppy. (b) Single,
unencumbered, large compartment. That's it. Amen. No interior pockets -- as
with the Ortliebs -- to snag when you are trying to shove in a last square
box while holding up the bike, which wants to slip, with gloved hands while
wearing dark shades in dim light with sweat pooling in your eyes, the
people behind you fidgeting and muttering disrespectfully. (OK, that is a
worst case scenario, but awkwardness does occur.) (c) Simple closure: flap
with elastic cord and toggle. Fastek buckles and I often do not agree; and
the supposed yank-and-adjust method for strap length always requires me to
use 2 hands to feed the webbing through the slots, and several aborted
trials, before I click and pull.

Perhaps Riv will one day make Backabikes that are 50% larger. I hope they
will save me a pair.