I would discount user error. The design requires the pointy corner of a steel
nut to dig against an aluminum shelf and I can't see how this was ever a good
idea, but I've used them and torqued them lots without the design failing.
Lance Armstrong's teammates nicknamed him "Centimeter" because of his incessant
adjusting of bars and seatpost and that's me, I'm constantly fiddling with my
riding position and my stem clamp bolt goes through easily a dozen
loosening/tightening sessions..I've never had a standard Technomic do what
Leah's did.

As I said a few comments up there, it's good that it's tight now with a wrench
holding the nut and should be fine. As I also said much earlier, she needs a
new stem!