No, not ok. that's going to have ill, very ill, or maybe very very very ill
affects on your steering when it's even remotely snug (it could tighten up
at will). You're looking for a failsafe, not something to actually do
anything until it's needed. You might try a fairly loose loop of paracord
or heavy shoelace, just long enough to not catch or bind, but not too long
or it'll get into your brakes and wheel. Tying off to the handlebar is
straightforward because it moves with the rack, headtubes don't so keep it
loose[ish]. And to keep it up and out of the moving bits, consider tying
off to the horizontal top bar of your basket directly in front of the
tombstone, that way it won't want to get fussy with your headset.
Have fun!
-Kai