Last century, the Japanese figured out "just in time" inventory.  The
mantra was "inventory is evil", meaning better to have the money in the
bank than tied up in parts.  The model of announcement then pre-sale then
delivery takes that to the next step.  Increases cash flow & reduces
storage requirements.  BTW, been in a couple of local shops recently & both
had boxed bikes stacked up the aisles.  When I asked, they said they were
rolling them out the door as fast as they could build them & having them in
house gave them faster turnaround.

dougP