On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 20:04 -0600, rswat...@me.com wrote:
> The Hetre is my Favorite tire ever, but only on pavement.  It has no tread to
> speak of and feels much less secure in dirt than a CDLV or Trimline to me.
> I have pathetic off-road skills however.

What does "dirt" mean to you?

When I speak of "dirt road riding" I'm talking about Northern Virginia
gravel roads.  The base is very hard, sometimes with some loose small
gravel on top but usually not.  Occasional to severe potholes and
washboard, but basically graded and not too much in the way of sharp
rocks or ruts.

Tread, especially knobby tread, would do absolutely nothing for you on a
surface like that: there's no way rubber any softer than granite would
dig into it.  You'd need a pick axe to dig in to that stuff.  What does
help is a wide, secure footprint and the Hetre sure has that.