I asked my local frame builder about this idea, and here's what he had to
say:

This is not something I would recommend doing.  Since the frame is TIG
welded my concern would be the integrity of both the head tube and seat
tube after the top tube was removed and the weld remnants filed away.  TIG
welding concentrates a lot of heat at the weld area, which can affect the
tubes integrity and so putting it through another heat cycle by brzing in
another top tube is less than wise.  There are a lot of other options to
"liven" up the feeling of a bike.  Wheels and more importantly tires play a
huge role.

I'm going to take his advice and leave the frame alone.