I can vouch for the suppleness and fast-rolling quality of the 1.8" RH
Naches Pass tire, in the "normal" as well as the "EL" versions. In my
experience, they give up little, perhaps nothing, to the sublime rolling
quality of the ultra light, 175-gram RH Elk Pass.

But I doubt whether even the best tire will make a dead bike feel alive. I
used the Elk Pass on my erstwhile 2003 Curt Goodrich Riv custom, then used
the same wheels and tires on the replacement Matthews frame. The Curt just
felt sluggish* in a way that the Matthews does not, and I was immediately
struck, on first riding it, how "easier to pedal" the latter is when, say,
coming to an incline or turning into a headwind -- all this especially
noticeable because on a fixed gear one cannot gear down.

*Relatively speaking, that is, compared to, say, the 1999 Joe Starck custom
(also shod with the Elk Pass) and to other frames built of less robust
tubing. The 2003 wasn't *horrible,* just noticeably "non-optimum."