There is one more thing to say in favor of a "racing" position; though this
term is really a false one, since it is used by riders who have no thought
whatsoever of racing; and that is that it is in a sense more comfortable for
putting out power if you like to push yourself. The butt-back, lower bar
position (and I am speaking only of a modestly low bar; no attempt at a
truly flat back) feels good because it optimizes weight distribution and
power generation. I often get into my hooks (a mere 4 cm below saddle)
simply for a change of position, or to maintain speed up a slight incline,
wind not the issue. It also in my experience of four Rivendell models, three
customs, brings out the best handling in Grant's long rear-center, shortish
front-center designs. Even my Hillborne, on which I want higher bars for
multi day touring, and the newly brazed and painted Monocog, where I want a
higher position off road, let me get back and low simply by riding the hooks
and bending my elbows. I've found excessively high bars unweight the front
end too much and make it feel unstable; my Hillborne bars are about 1 cm
above saddle, those of the Monocog (with a longer cockpit even than the H)
about 2 cm above versus the 4-5 cm above that the Hillborne was originally
set up with on the Riv floor. (I have the old floor model.) And I have short
arms.

So, I'd suggest a position that, while it lets you straighten up, also does
not deprive you of that wonderful butt-back, arms low and lightly resting on
the bars position that PJW among others describes.