On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 9:31 AM, stevep33 <steve...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You describe what is called an "f**k you stop."  The faster group
> stops to rest only long enough to let you catch up and then the group
> starts of quickly before you've had any rest. Not considerate.  I know
> it in the context of hiking, but it could apply to cycling too.

I've been on both sides of that, it's a tough spot. Sympathies wane
when it's 3am and you're still. not. home. yet. (been there, last
year)

As for the OP's issue, i agree with Jim on trying different tires
first, different wheels second. If you're climbing a lot, lighter
wheels will help, otherwise not so much. A somewhat more upright and
more comfortable position can certainly slow you a bit, but that may
be a worthy compromise averaged over a century, given the reduced
fatigue and ability to maintain speed later in the ride.

--
Bill Connell
St. Paul, MN