I'm pretty sure you just described planing.  Your IF works perfectly with
your power and riding style (and it looks mahvelous, dahlink).  What a great
combo for you!

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 4:00 AM, Earl Grey <earlg...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure this helps, but I find that some bikes make me want to ride
> faster than others. So it's not (necessarily) that they ARE much
> faster, but they "beg to be ridden hard", to use a cliche. My Indy Fab
> Planet X is like that, to the point that it's actually difficult to
> ride it slowly. Probably a combination of position (low bars) and
> flexy frame (tigged 853). See
> http://cyclofiend.com/cx/2009/cx054-gernothuber1209.html
>
> Perhaps light weight also contributes, not because it is that much
> faster, but because it responds more immediately to rider input, thus
> giving more direct positive reinforcement for pushing harder?
>
> My Sam with higher bars (and stiffer tubing?) on the other hand seems
> to encourage a more moderate pace. See
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/25150...@n08/4424231067/
>
> So if it's frame flex and light weight that encourage pushing hard,
> you may need a different frame (terraferma?). If bar position is a big
> factor, perhaps your Sam will be fine. Get some Cypres tires, lower
> the bars, and see what happens. You can always raise the bars partway
> through a century, since you have a threaded stem... :)
>
> Gernot
>

> On Apr 27, 1:24 pm, PATRICK MOORE <bertin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > There is one more thing to say in favor of a "racing" position; though
> this
> > term is really a false one, since it is used by riders who have no
> thought
> > whatsoever of racing; and that is that it is in a sense more comfortable
> for
> > putting out power if you like to push yourself. The butt-back, lower bar
> > position (and I am speaking only of a modestly low bar; no attempt at a
> > truly flat back) feels good because it optimizes weight distribution and
> > power generation. I often get into my hooks (a mere 4 cm below saddle)
> > simply for a change of position, or to maintain speed up a slight
> incline,
> > wind not the issue. It also in my experience of four Rivendell models,
> three
> > customs, brings out the best handling in Grant's long rear-center,
> shortish
> > front-center designs. Even my Hillborne, on which I want higher bars for
> > multi day touring, and the newly brazed and painted Monocog, where I want
> > higher position off road, let me get back and low simply by riding the
> hooks
> > and bending my elbows. I've found excessively high bars unweight the
> front
> > end too much and make it feel unstable; my Hillborne bars are about 1 cm
> > above saddle, those of the Monocog (with a longer cockpit even than the
> H)
> > about 2 cm above versus the 4-5 cm above that the Hillborne was
> originally
> > set up with on the Riv floor. (I have the old floor model.) And I have
> short
> [...]

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

"Bicycling is a big part of the future. It has to be. There is something
wrong with a society that drives a car to workout in a gym."  ~Bill Nye,
scientist guy