I have a 2016 Sam with Tektro R559 sidepulls.  Ran Barlow Pass (standard
casing) with fenders and then moved up to Snoqualmie Pass but were
questionable with fenders.  Moved the fenders to a new Surly frame that
have Snoqualmie Pass also, but more clearance.  Went tubeless on the Surly
for the first time.  Sam is still tubed, but will be building a set of
wheels for it with tubeless compatible rims soon.