I have that same Bottecchia (albeit I think mine is a bit newer, probably
1972). I ride it all the time- it makes a great road bike! Columbus tubing
is so smooth. I put a front rack and it's my little rando bike. Actually
does ok with the weight of a front bag.  I have some RH 32s on it but agree
it could take 35s.  116mm rear spacing is a bummer though!