I second the recommendation of waiting until you really know what you want.

If you do go down the building wheels road, you can try getting some wheels
built by Pro Wheel Builder (PWB) in Georgia. I had two sets of Velocity
Atlas (650b) wheels built and shipped to me for $650. I sent my own Shimano
hubs (LX) to them because it is getting difficult to source 135 mm rear
hubs in silver that are not super expensive (WI etc).