I expect that Rene Herse 42 or 48 or 52 mm tires will give you low rolling
resistance, lighter weight, and plenty of cushioning -- even my 28 mm extra
light Rene Herse Elk Passes at 55/60 f/r are surprisingly smooth over small
bumps, and the 42 mm Naches Passes ELs ditto at 40/45 psi,

Back to multiple wheels: IME, a pound or 2 or 3 really makes little
difference to the feeling of speed, even uphill. Some of my fastest
"feeling" bikes were rather heavy, and with rather heavy wheels. Tire
quality makes more difference than wheel weight, IME.

Also, bike setup and position makes a bigger difference in ease of pedaling
than a few lbs of weight, particularly saddle position with respect to
crank, IOW, torso angle at hips, which depends on proper saddle setback. A
saddle too far forward, or a hip angle too small, can make your pedaling
"weak" and awkward -- ie, you can't produce torque and it feels unnatural;
I learned this 27 years ago from Grant -- long story often repeated.
Moreover, a too-far-forward saddle will put *more* of your torso's weight
on your shoulders, arms, and hands, and make your neck uncomfortable too,

As for multiple wheels: the idea is not at all strange. I use to have bikes
with 2 and even 3 wheelsets. For a while I would have one "main" bike with
3 wheelsets (plus a beater or two): offroad knobbies with wide range
gearing, 38 mm road tires for commuting with close ratio road gearing, and
"gofast" with 200 gram skinnies and very close ratio gearing. More recently
my Fargo had a 700C X 60 mm wheelset and a 700C X 35 mm wheelset, with disc
rotors adjusted so that I could just slide each wheel into place without
fiddling with caliper adjustment, And my 1999 Riv Road custom gofast will,
God willing (hubs and rims with builder), shortly have 3 *rear *wheels, the
"main" one with a flip/flop 15/17 t fixed hub, one for longer rides in
rolling or windy conditions with a medium ratio 2-speed internal gear
Sturmey Archer fixed hub, and one for steeper hills with a wide ratio

On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 5:03 PM Sofie C <sofi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> ... Patrick: I've considered trying some new tires, and have been eyeing
> some from RH. I currently have Schwalbe G-One Evolution tires, and they're
> 57mm, so perhaps I should try some lighter tires. I love the cush of the
> G-Ones, but they are probably more robust than I need.

Does anyone keep more than one set of wheels for one bike or is that