Pam, I think you have got this figured out.

I admit I have let a few rides be ruined by obnoxious drivers.  A close
scrape is scary, and then it makes me angry, and then I am bothered by this
feeling that I need to restore balance to the universe by waving a middle
finger.  That's the feeling I want to let go of.  I don't need to think
about fixing the universe all the time . . . when I'm riding my bike, my
purpose is to enjoy life and get somewhere.

But I also am sure that your example, the way you handle yourself on the
bike, is educational for drivers and probably inspires some of them to take
the bike instead of the car next time.  So maybe you are fixing the
universe somewhat.

Jim in Rochester