A sad, but true story.  As a "roadie", having a kickstand was not normal,
so I didn't get a kickstand for my wife's Betty Foy.  When I picked up the
beautiful bike with her at Riv, I leaned the bike against a sign while I
was getting ready to load it onto the car.  Just then, the bike slid off
the sign, scratched the top tube and fell to the ground.  I profusely
apologized to my wife (she doesn't like the idea of beausage right from the
start), and I found some nail polish that was tolerable in hiding the
damage to the paint.  Needless to say, I got her a kickstand so she
wouldn't have to endure that pain again.

Most of my bikes have kickstands now :).

Toshi