Love mine with v-brakes - that’s what makes it perfect to me really so I’m
thrilled I got a prototype. But they’re right about mini-v-brakes just not
quite working. I tried 4 different models with different arm lengths
(82-90mm) and it was never right: too much pull required to get pad to rim
contact, but then too much mechanical advantage so very limited modulation.

But with standard v-brakes (with linear pull / long pull) the bike shines.
Modulation but also super stopping power that caliper and sidepull brakes
can’t match. That’s why it is replacing my Sam instead of the Sam getting
brake mounts welded on.

I’ve probably put 2,000 miles of this bike and it’s almost always my go to:
commuting or dirt or a century ride - I’d be happy with the proto-Charlie
for any of those!

Inverted albatross bars are perfect for 22.2mm v-brake lever clamps while
giving a super shallow drop position. Bar ends mounted forward in the curve
of the albatross bars gives a hood-like position I love too.