Ted, You’re lucky to have found a riding partner that matches your rhythm.
Hang on to that friendship!

Our club is pretty strict about obeying traffic rules and being polite. We
had one guy complain about a group of us on a ride saying that the group
was 3 wide. It went right to the club president - it’s a small enough city
that citizens know who to call - who told every ride leader to address the
problem, which they did. I’d never ride with a contentious group. Too many
angry people with hair-trigger tempers driving cars these days. I want to
get home alive and in working order.