No, my remarks bear only on the question whether setting up fds to shift
well and actually shifting them is inherently difficult, particularly with
small granny rings. The thrust of the discussion was: "I ditched my fd and
found life much easier." And this with regard to granny rings in
particular. The numbers and sizes of the cogs are secondary issues, and I
only brought up 11+ cog cassettes as a speculative cause why nowadays
people don't like fds, particularly with triple drivetrains. Piaw pointed
out that you just don't use triples with 11+ cogs, so that's probably a red
herring.

Open parenthesis. I do not blame anyone for ditching his or her 2X or 3X
because he or she found shifting the fd troublesome. If I found mine
troublesome I'd do so too. Close parenthesis.

My point was that there seems to be no inherent design flaw or at least
major performance liability with fds as such, and that even shifting triple
chainrings seemed at least at the time as just "life as usual." But some
people like 1Xs because they don't like adjusting and shifting front
derailleurs, and that's perfectly fine. Me, find it less complicated to
shift the subcompact 2X (42/28 or 26) 10 speed on my Matthews than the
44/36/24 7 speed that was on my Fargo, and I suppose some people carry that
one step further and prefer a 1X over a 2X.