I used a hybrid 2X crossover/half stepped 7 sp (half-stepped the middle 5,
13 outer with 48/92" for downhills, 32 inner with 45/35" for climbing) for
a while that worked very well (Kelly Take-Offs were the perfect shifter),
but there was a big jump to the 35" low gear. Riv content: 1995 Riv custom
downgraded to daily commuting duty.

I wrote an early article for the Rivendell Reader about half-step and
granny. I works great with 7 speed freewheels where you can pick the
sprockets. But after cassettes were introduced you couldn't pick individual
sprockets any more so it became impractical. At that point I switched over
to crossover + granny, especially when 11-34 cassettes were introduced.
Despite Grant's assertions, the new 11s cassettes and chains seem to be
quite reliable --- the 11s chain definitely lasts longer than the 9s chain
(about 30% longer), and the 11s cassettes on a friction shifter actually
shift better --- there's less chance that you'll get stuck in between
sprockets when you shift and have to trim.