Maybe I simply don't shift aggressively, but like Laing I never had
problems with wide-range 2X compact front setups and even triples back in
the 7-speed days seemed to shift fine in and out of the granny with a
little care; at any rate, that's what you did if you wanted to get up a
steep hill, and dropped chains were not a frequent problem.

Could ever wider cassettes contribute to throwing chains off chainrings?

Now trying a "granny-granny" Mt. Tamer Quad in a 4-ring setup: that didn't
work smoothly, but apparently they worked for some people because they
stayed on the market for decades.