It was frustration with duplicate gears that drove me to riding fixed
drivetrains.

Seriously, I used to spend a great deal of time calculating gear charts
(good way to while away boring staff meetings). Even with close-ratio
crossover triples there were always annoying (conceptually annoying if not
so horrible in practice) gaps, in the middle or at either end, together
with duplication; you can see why people liked half steps. In fact, half
stepping provided more useful gears out of a 5, 6, even 7 speed cassette
than crossovers did; the downside was the need of a triple/granny for very
low gears. Funny how front derailleurs go from devil to flee to angel to
love between crossovers and half-steps.

I used a hybrid 2X crossover/half stepped 7 sp (half-stepped the middle 5,
13 outer with 48/92" for downhills, 32 inner with 45/35" for climbing) for
a while that worked very well (Kelly Take-Offs were the perfect shifter),
but there was a big jump to the 35" low gear. Riv content: 1995 Riv custom
downgraded to daily commuting duty.