Hey Ted,

Pretty sure your pic confirms my suspicion...  Those bars have quite a long
reach and a fair bit of drop.  Even keeping the stem, something like a Soma
Highway One in 44 or 46cm would shorten your reach and drop a decent
amount:
https://www.somafabshop.com/shop/soma-handlebar-hwy-one-road-bar-4369?page=2&category=783#attr=3003,1855,2365
(I think ;^)

Doug