I'm still experimenting, but I knit a few pairs of large mittens a few
years ago, and then shrunk them down alternating between hot and cold water
to shrink/felt them for more warmth. They worked well with all my bikes. In
a pinch when it got well below 0 here in Minneapolis, I layered the thicker
mittens over the thinner mittens over unused dog poop bags and was quite
warm lol.
Will