Ian sez, "...I still daydream of owning a beautiful lugged Riv that I could
ride forever, I understand and appreciate their drive to innovate and
embrace change, and know that change is the only real constant, but it's
not always for the better...."

I began serious riding in the midst of the early 70's "bike boom" and have
owned and ridden probably a dozen different bikes in the 50+ years since.
Prior to that, I've had bikes ever since the mid-50's - a cantilever framed
Schwinn with 24" wheels to start, then a 3-speed IGH Raleigh knock-off,
then a cheap 10-speed.  I, too, have always been in search of the "perfect"
bike that I could ride for the remainder of my life.  I finally dialed in
on such a bike when I bought my Ram back in '04.  I'm approaching 75 now
(IOW, "middle" old age) and still find it perfect fit.  I wish I would have
had that bike way back when I began riding more seriously. It was basically
a production model of what Riv called the "long low."  Everything about it
is just perfect (for me anyway).