Here, there was a new ride this year, the Clinch Mountain ride.  There
was a dual route option: at a certain point, hang a right, and you get
back to the start after 33mi, hang a left and it's a 50mi ride.   Last
night, we were contemplating the 50, but was holding the 33 as a
reserve plan, depending on how we were feeling when we reached the
turn.  (I was on my Rambouillet, Alex on his new Motobecane, he just
got for his 15th birthday.)

Got up this morning, and the radar was showing a storm front reaching
us about a half-hour before the start.  We met up w/ some friends at
the parking lot at the start. It opened up on us all, several
abandoned going on the ride and left.   We kept checking the radar,
hoping that it'd move on out, and we could start out later... it was
looking like...  the storm had passed, and the rain was slacking off.
(Wet road wasn't going to bother me too much, but didn't want to mess
w/ a storm.)  The 'start' of the ride got underway 15 minutes late, we
let the pack clear out then were gonna bring up the rear, thinking it
was going to continue to clear.

Well, right off the bat, Alex was having shifting issues, then had toe-
strap issues.   After getting it straightened up, we went on, but a
few miles later it was still raining, and picking up again.  Both of
us wear glasses, were having a time seeing, then several more miles, I
started hearing thunder again... so, we hung a turn and ran up Copper
Creek, cutting off a big chunk of the route.   Ended up back at the
finish having cut it down to 18mi instead of the longer routes.     I
want to go back and run the whole route, but w/o a storm.

Ah well.....

Watchin' the England - US match now...