Andrew,

If it were me, changing the tires to a good quality lighter weight
tire would be the first thing I would do.  Panaracer Paselas (non-
tourguard) roll reasonably well and relatively inexpensive.  I've got
32s (measure 28-29) on the Rambouillet and 35s (measure 35) on the
Quickbeam.  Heavier/more durable tires on the Rambouillet were
noticeably/measurably slower.

Angus