On Jun 21, 1:02 am, andrew hill <neurod...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lighter rubber and/or lighter wheels on the Sam are an excellent place to
> start.
> And I appreciate the suggestion to enjoy the slowness.  :)
>
> But it's not really an illusion - on a different bike (29er mtn bike with
> 2.2" knobbys) i can do my 6 mile morning commute (in) in about 20 minutes if
> I hit most of the lights.  on the Sam, it's more like 30.  for commuting I
> could care less about the speed, but it's definitely different on the two
> bikes, and not in the direction I'd expect.

Y'know, I sat down and worked the math on that one, and I gotta say, that's
a pretty huge difference for 6 miles. Maybe the MOE brings it closer
together, but 10 minutes difference for that distance is a head-scratcher -
especially since one of the bikes shouldn't really be all that fast on
pavement (the 29er w/ knobbies).

Maybe if you had a whole bunch of short blocks with stop signs/stop lights
at each intersection... Or a bunch of short, sharp risers to climb. If you
are _that_ much faster on the mtb, and you want to sharpen up the
performance of the Sam, you might take a look at the position of your saddle
relative to the bb, the relative height of the bars, and see if some
concessions are to be made.  Sometimes it takes a little more riding to be
efficient - I know the first day when I switch over from Quickbeam to
Hilsen, things feel a bit pokey.

Honestly, I'd also take a good stem-to-stern look at things that move - the
wheels, making sure they roll smoothly and aren't rubbing brake pads, make
sure they aren't somehow binding when in the dropouts.   Also, are you using
a different computer on each bike? Or, are you timing via watch?

Ok.  'nuff pondering.

- J

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"'You both ride your bike?' He held his hands out and grabbed imaginary
handlebars, grinning indulgently, eyeing Tom's helmet.  Double disbeleif:
not one, but two grown Americans riding bicycles."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Zodiac"