Well yes........you would go slower with all that baggage breaking the
wind and a higher bar position, I assume, making you less aerodynamic.
Your climbing would also be slower.

What I am talking about is minor weight differences (as the original
poster mentioned) like between a 23 pound bike and say a 29 pounder.
Those differences can't amount to much but 40 pounds of touring gear,
I agree with you.... that is a large enough difference to make a
difference.
 I have several upright bikes ranging from 21 pounds to 35 pounds and
one recumbent that weighs 30 pounds. The recumbent is a full 3-5 mph
faster on flat and rolling terrain and the uprights seem to ride about
the same to each other on similar terrain. Over mixed terrain all of
them average the same overall times in my experience. If I were doing
a whole bunch of climbing I'd want the lightest bike possible with the
lowest practical gearing....if it fit me well and was comfortable on
bumpy roads.Therein lies the problem, a long wheelbase, low geared,
fendered, able to take baggage, fat tired bike is the most
comfortable, best climbing and versatile machine available but it
doesn't weight 20 pounds. I just love my current ride with fat 41's at
60 psi they really smooth out the road surface and on long rides that
makes a difference for me. At the end of the day I am not as beat up
and I have yet to experience a flat. I have bikes that are slightly
faster and I mean very slightly but I always go back to the one that
is most comfy.