On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 8:46 PM, charlie <charles_v...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I live in the foothills of Mt. Rainier in Washington State.....no
> matter where I go I have steep hills, its quite aggravating really. My
> gearing is 22x32x44 & 32-12 if that tells you anything.
> I'd rather carry the cookies so I could eat them but I see your point.
> You are correct, a lighter bike is easier to climb with if that is
> your goal.

I have ridiculously low gears too, and I use them plenty. I ride my
Atlantis a lot. It's not the lightest bike in the world, but I love
it. I bring along cookies and sandwiches too; I'm no weight weenie.

But I was just reacting to the claim that a five pound difference in
bike weight makes no difference in bike performance. If you're riding
hills, it does. You might not care (indeed, I usually don't care) but
that doesn't mean there is no difference.

--
-- Anne Paulson

My hovercraft is full of eels