Still not convinced what, if anything, makes a difference.  The bike
that happens to be under me when I ride "fast" is usually a bike with
29x2.1 wide semi-knobby tires and handlebars about 6 to 8cm above the
saddle.

Again, like the original poster, my testing is very unscientific.
Just about 1,000 on each of the bikes so far this year.  So not a
strong enough database.

Am just trying to not worry about it and ride instead.  Knowing no
matter what, just about every other cyclist out there is going to pass
me.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN