From: rbw-owners-bunch@googlegroups.com
[mailto:rbw-owners-bu...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Noel
Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:20 PM
To: RBW Owners Bunch
Subject: [RBW] Re: B17 vs Team Pro... any direct comparison wisdom?

I'm surprised to see the comments to the effect that the Pro is
"flatter" than the B17. I have a couple of each and find them all to
have that distinct "hammock" shape. The key differences, as far as I
can tell, are that the Pro is a narrower at the back and is made of
thicker leather. (I have one Pro that is at least 15 years old. I
periodically mount it on a bike and use it for a few hundred miles,
then take it off again, because I just can't get it to break in. I
figure it's got at least 3000 miles on it at this point, plus several
different (increasingly radical) attempts at softening it. It's still
hard as a rock and looks/feels exactly like it did out of the box.)

Overall, I just haven't had great success with Brooks no matter what I
do, for exactly the reasons outlined by James: if I get the rear
section level enough so that I'm not sliding onto the nose, the nose
is angled so steeply up that it digs into me. Lowering the nose just
causes the rear section to angle downward, sliding me back onto the
nose. Arg. Even with a two-bolt post, there is no happy medium.

For some reason, though, the Velo-Orange saddles don't do that to me,
even though they have the "hammock" shape too. Go figure. It's just
too bad the V/O saddles aren't quite as nicely put together as the
Brooks...

Noel
Orange County, Ca.