I too have become a big rapid rise/bar end fan due to Grant's
promotion of them. Love the idea of the switchable rear derailer. Good
luck with that. That said, there is another diff, which is that the
cable attachment bolt is on the back plate of the parallelogram
instead of the front one. I assume Grant knows this, but just in
case...

Istarted stocking up on them a while back as I don't really like the
current X-shaped ones. And yes, they were designed to work with the
mtn brifters where you shift by pushing down on the brake levers. One
last thing: rapid rise detailers work really well with Campy Ergo
brifters, which don't have the silly one gear at a time limitation
(but you gotta use 10 sp campy with 8 speed shimano, or 10 sp with 9
sp and route the rear del cable the wrong way around the bolt.