"What you identify with is all to do with content; whereas the
unconscious compulsion to identify is structural.  It is one of the
most basic ways in which the egoic mind operates.
       Paradoxically, what keeps the so called consumer society going
is the fact that trying to find yourself through things doesn't work:
The ego satisfaction is short lived and so you keep looking for more,
keep buying, keep consuming. .......
      No ego can last for long without the need for more.  Therefore,
wanting keeps the ego alive much more than having.  The ego wants to
want more than it wants to have.  And so the shallow satisfaction of
having is always replaced by more wanting.  This is the psychological
need for more, that is to say, more things to identify with.  It is an
addictive need, not an authentic one."
Eckhardt Tolle. The New Earth. pp 36 & 46.

Michael