This hasn't been my experience at all, shifting 9 sp (and not even
stock, so ramps all messed up) with PowerRatchet bar end shifters. It
shifted fine, and I have a very sensitive ear for improperly placed
chains; and I did use all the gears, as this was a wide range double
setup. And the Silvers are far better than the PRs.

I think, from having worked with both silvers and Prs, that the
ratchets work only in one direction and that the lever rotates
independently of them in the other, so that the detents are also
rotated in this second direction in indefinitely variable friction
only mode.

FWIW, 11-23 and 12-27 cassettes (stock) shifted perfectly with Mavic
branded retrofriction downtubers, but these don't have detents, they
have some sort of dual-direction friction system that mimics the ST
system. And they also pull less cable, from what I remember. Whatever
the case, their precision with 10 cogs surprised me.

On Sun, Oct 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM, Jim Thill - Hiawatha Cyclery