We had an early 70s French something in a couple months ago with a 4sp
freewheel. Gearing limitations were the least of its problems...

It's not accurate to describe Silver shifters as "friction". They are
more of a ratchet mechanism than a friction mechanism. Unlike true
friction, which, for all its drawbacks, has more or less infinite
range of shift positions, the ratchet shifters shift to a finite
number of ratchet clicks - it's not really possible for the shifter to
be at rest between two ratchet clicks. Usually works fine with 5, 6,
7, and 8-speed freewheels and cassettes, since the cogs are far enough
apart that the shifter being a fraction off doesn't initiate a shift.
With 9sp and 10sp, the ratchet clicks start to almost mimic indexing,
and there are usually a couple cogs that are hard to use (or at least
noisy). Some people have told me that they use 9sp with Silver
shifters with no problems. I believe that these people are: a) lucky,
b) simply not hearing the rattling noises, or more likely, not
actually using all nine cogs (to reduce noise, always trim-shifting
away from the cogs that don't happen to align with the ratchet).

My personal opinion: Component manufacturers add more gears, often
while quietly making more important innovations, because "how many
gears?" is a question frequently asked by people who buy bikes. I have
had many bikes with 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and (recently) 10-speed
drivetrains. They are all fine. I am not a huge fan of Silver shifters
(or any friction shifters), and I don't have much interest in trolling
ebay for vintage parts to keep my rig on the road. If 10sp is what is
going to be widely available for the foreseeable future, I probably
won't be going out of my way to build a bike around a 6-sp freewheel
or 6-sp Uniglide cassette or any other obsolete drivetrain. 10-sp
works fine, and is now available with a dizzying array of gearing
options, a variety of shifter styles, etc. That said, unless they
request otherwise, anybody who buys a bike from me will most likely be
getting 8sp or 9sp, simply because it saves them a few bucks on chains
and cassettes. I don't foresee replacement chains and cassettes
becoming any more limited in selection than they already are, at least
not for quite a few years. Hoarding at this point is probably
premature. Not that you should let that stop you :)