Amtrak's lack of progressive thinking, and inability to accommodate
potential allies in alternative transportation, has frustrated me, as
well.  As a side-note to Bobbie B's comment about the Portland to
Boston line (Downeaster)...I live on that line, and unfortunately they
only let bikes board at Boston, Portland and one of the midway
stations, but not the seven other stations on the line.  So, even
though I live within 15 miles of three stations, I can't board my bike
at any of them.
-Erik