Thanks, Erik... that seems to be the trend with Amtrak.... "We'll
accommodate bikes insofar as it doesn't require any special provision
on our part".  Maybe Amtrak will at least change the name of the train
to the "Downer"...

Side note:  I sent an email to Walter Finch at the League of American
Bicyclists last evening.   He is the LAB Advocacy Director, and Andy
Clarke (E.D.) who spoke at our NJ Bicycle Summit earlier this year had
suggested I contact Walter on this issue.  I attended the National
Bike Summit in March, and I stood a few feet from Ray LaHood at the
evening reception in the Senate building (funny, I'm actually visible
in the YouTube video, wearing a SUIT AND TIE, YIKES!!) where he
pledged his strong support for cycling and vowed to fight for
funding... LaHood (as you know) is also a big supporter of funding for
AMTRAK, so let's hope he makes good on his pledge.

Peace,
BB