On Dec 23, 4:18 pm, robert zeidler <zeidler.rob...@gmail.com> wrote:

>  These bikes may get ridden more (doubtful), but they most certainly will be
> repaired more.  I'm thinking mostly of Grant's zip-tie-ing mud-flaps and
> fenders.  It's hack work.

I don't see how a zip tied fender flap will lead to a bike getting
repaired more. The only Rivendell I had that broke (and was
subsequently repaired) had plastic fenders with appropriately attached
VO leather mud flaps. Perhaps it was the plastic fenders that caused
the frame to break?

All kidding aside, I know some people are fine with "hack" fixes and
others just want to do things "right". I've used metal fenders,
correctly installed, with zip tied flaps and plastic fenders with
bolted on leather mud flaps and both seem to do a good job of keeping
crud off my feet and the frame. The only fender malfunction I had was
on a 300k brevet when a bracket on my fender came loose. This issue
has since been reolved by usign some Loctite.

When I first got a Wald basket for my Nitto mini front rack on my QB I
wasn't really that enthusiastic about attaching the basket with zip-
ties but it works fine.

I'm a randonneur and always have a few zip ties with me on brevets.

Grant once made a comment about his bikes being like him, slightly
disheveled. I like that. I'm certainly disheveled. My QB is definitely
disheveled. Right now the Homer is looking good but that'll change...

--mike