Yup, I agree with everybody. I love, and prefer elegant AND reliable
solutions. Zip ties are a hack - but I'm okay with that in some
situations.

Wondering if the OP, JimD, was talking specifically about the
Sackville flaps. See - they are designed to be mounted with zip ties.
I like some things about this flap, but on the front - they aren't as
effective as a thick leather flap (which I have bolted to other
bikes.) The Sackville flap really calls for a zip tie. They look fine
- get the outdoor/UV resistant black ones. I added another pair of
eyelets and zip ties to my front flap, and it works better now.

The Sackville flaps look good, are lightweight, and have that great 3M
reflective strip. It's a perfect rear flap. I think thick leather
probably works better up front:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39151...@n07/5069933431/in/set-72157625138189696/

Alex