I would also second Patrick's recommendation of Patrick O'Brian's
Aubrey/Maturin series of books.  I read a lot of good books but these
are the best.  Do not read the night before an important meeting
because you can easily stay up all night reading one.  They are
exciting, immersive, you will develop friendships with the characters,
and they are laugh out loud funny.  Start with the first book, Master
and Commander, where the two main characters meet.