As an out-of-towner I found The Slippery Pig in Phoenix to be a really
cool shop... I once rented/demoed a bike from there.  Really nice
folks, and great vibe... the kind of LBS that's fun to hang out at...

A nice off-road ride in Phoenix is the Piestewa / Dreamy Draw area on
the North side of Phoenix (near Squaw Peak).  I have ridden there a
few times when I stayed at the Squaw Pointe Hilton.  Another great
mountain ride is South Mountain (south of the city)... never rode
there myself, but my friends have numerous times, and speak highly of
it.  Much more technical and difficult than Piestewa, which is
beginner/intermediate, but not boring by any stretch.