In 10 years of living in the Phoenix zone of the Arizona Urban Desert, I've
found no destination bike shop; they are all strip mall shops selling mass
market bikes sold everywhere, even though several are well stocked and
competent and helpful. Just nothing special, except the Bisbee Bicycle
Brothel in Bisbee, which is not exactly a full service retail shop but is
definitely a destination! Nothing like several shops I recall in
Seattle...and not so close to Phoenix.

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 1:50 PM, cm <chrispmur...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Off the top of my head, the top shops in Tucson:
>
> 1. Ordinary Bike Shop
> 2. Arizona Bicycle Experts
> 3. Fair Wheel
>
> To be honest, I am not sure that any of them are MUST visit shops.
> They are great shops but I just am not sure they are destinations The
> only must visit shop to me is BICAS. Also, Andy Gilmour, who has been
> building bikes for 30+ years, is here and has a cool back room full of
> new frames along with his full shop. The Bicycle Brothel in Bisbee is
> amazing and might be worth the 2 hour drive alone, never mind the
> beautiful scenery and funky-artsy-mining town included at no extra
> charge. Call ahead to be sure you it will be open-- more than once I
> have longingly pressed my face up to the glass to look inside.
>
> There are some great shops here that focus more on the racing set and
> have some incredible bikes (Miles Ahead, Sabino, Arizona cyclist,
> etc)-- but incredible in an OT-carbon fiber kinda way.
>
> To me, Tucson is about riding. It is pretty incredible here and there
> are some amazing rides-- not sure you have the bike with you. If you
> are looking to rent there are shops that rent decent bikes (FairWheel
> and others).
>
> Cheers!
> cm

Bill Gibson