I agree that pockets at the back of the vest would increase its
utility.  Here's some photos from Lesli Larson's Flickr Archival
Clothing photostream that show the earlier version of the Rivendell
vest:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/archivalclothing/3251797465/in/photostream/
Lesli's Flickr site, by the way, is a treasure trove of traditional
and very classy apparel.

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ