Guess I ned to get out more as I had no idea there were IRD freewheel
specific hubs.  Seems counterintuitive to me.

All my multigear bikes have freewheels as I use vintage hubs.  While I
have a pretty good store of NOS freewheels, I was happy to see IRD
coming out with a new line of freewheels, as it at once assured supply
and took pressure off the price of NOS freewheels.  Riding on vintage
hubs is not for everyone.  There are plenty of us out there, however.
Not surprisingly really, as a well maintained hub can last many years.

Much as I like my vintage freewheel hubs, the need for a new freewheel
hubs escapes me.  Cassette freewheels are in fact easier to use and
maintain.  Seems to me those buying new but not wanting 10 or 11 cogs
in the back would be better served looking for nos 7 - 9 cog cassettes
to put on a modern cassett hub than buying an all new freewheel set
up.